We're perpetually growing, building and keeping pace with the latest and greatest in materials, methods and practices. Read all about it right here.
Choosing a Contractor
There are probably one or two areas of your home right not that require attention. But how do you go about finding a certified, reliable and trustworthy company to tackle them? Follow Manor's ABCs below and you'll significantly reduce your risk of falling prey to a less-than-reputable renovator.
- A contract is a must. Minimally, it should outline the scope of work, start and end dates, and pricing information. Take the weekend to review the final contract before signing.
- Building permits are required for renovations that change the structure or systems of your home. Plumbing, electrical, farming? Permit, permit, permit!
- Contractors who come onto your property should have a valid renovator's licence. If the contractor is reluctant to show it to you, you should be reluctant to hire the contractor.
- Don't agree to a discount for paying cash. You may think you're saving on the GST, but you'll have no paper trail and little recourse if something should go wrong down the road.
- Every good contractor keeps a current list of client references and sample photos of completed renovations. Check them out before committing to a contract.
- Find a contractor affiliated with RenoMark and the Canadian Home Builders Association. Membership in these organizations generally ensures adherence to strict business practices.
- Get three written quotes that spell out exactly the work you want done and how long it should take. If one bid is much lower than the rest, it's usually a red flag.
With a lot of home renovations, an off-the-shelf vanity from the hardware store or a stock set of kitchen cabinets is perfectly appropriate for the task at hand. Some projects, however, call for a specific design approach, an exotic type of wood, or a real craftsman's eye. This custom niche is the motivation behind Manor's in-house fine woodworking and finishing studio, Ironwood Custom Interiors. Whenever a reno project calls for detailed woodwork, non-standard cabinetry or a room with a real eye-catching focal point, Manor enlists Ironwood's craftspeople ... and the results are never less than spectacular.
Ironwood's craftspeople try to distinguish themselves from their competitors, both in terms of quality as well as ingenuity. They pride themselves on developing non-standard solutions for their clients, on using the best possible materials for the job, and on uncompromising attention to detail. Ironwood is even capable of custom staining and lacquering - either in the studio or at a client's home.
From rich Honduran mahogany wet bars to sleek cherry kitchen built-ins with the latest European hardware, Ironwood's unique, one-of-a-kind pieces can be found in finer homes throughout Calgary. Ask your Manor Project Manager about how to incorporate an Ironwood custom woodworking solutions into your home renovation!
Free In-Home Consultation
Why does Manor take such pride in its free in-home consultation service? In all fairness, every contractor under the sun visits the homeowner, pulls out a tape measure and looks around before providing and estimate. This may be true, the difference is in the details. First and foremost, Manor realizes what many companies don't: that the initial home consultation isn't just about landing the contract, it's about establishing trust, providing information and hopefully beginning a mutually beneficial relationship. While this sounds like marketing propaganda, it really does underscore the main difference between Manor and many of its competitors.
Anyone who requests a Manor consultation can expect 3 things:
- a response usually within 48 hours;
- impartial and professional advice;
- and a detailed budget estimate of the renovation in question.
The homeowner may ultimately decide to postpone the reno, or to work with another contractor. It's still a win-win in Manor's eyes, however. Homeowners are left with valuable ideas and advice, and Manor fosters good will that may turn tire-kickers into future clients.
Start your home renovation on a solid foundation. Click here to register your project with Manor today. It's quick, easy and a completely free way to get a friendly and knowledgeable renovation professional to your doorstep!